How to get a graduate job
According to Graduate Coach, 2 million master’s and bachelor’s graduates are currently unemployed. Not only that, but data from Adzuna suggests that the hiring rate for graduates in the UK has dropped by 75% since January 2020. In these uncertain times, how do you beat the competition and find the perfect graduate job for you?
The social learning platform FutureLearn has teamed up with Graduate Coach, a graduate coaching company, to offer students and graduates a free online course: How to get a graduate job.
The free online course is three weeks long and involves around two hours of study time per week. Over the three weeks, this course will teach learners everything they need to know to stand out from the crowd and to get the job they really want, including: how to identify their core skills and competencies; how to search for a suitable job; how to create strong CVs, cover letters and LinkedIn profiles; and how to become interview confident. The course is also useful for anyone who would like to bring their job-hunting skills up to date.
Week 1 – Understanding yourself and the job market
• Analysing the graduate job market.
• Learning the importance of employability skills.
• Identifying your skills and competencies.
• Making informed career decisions such as determining which jobs are suitable for you.
Week 2 – How to master the job application process
• Creating achievement-based CVs.
• Crafting cover letters that will be read.
• Optimising your LinkedIn profile.
• Smart searching for graduate jobs online.
Week 3 – How to become interview confident
• Online tests.
• Phone and video interviews.
• Assessment centres.
• Face-to-face interviews. Conquering your nerves.
• Understanding the difference between competency and strength-based interviews.
• Understanding the need to interview more than once – practice makes perfect!
• Interviewing for jobs you do not want.
• Following up after interviews.
“Our aim is for this course to help tens of thousands turn their current feelings of hopelessness into hope,” says Chris Davies, Head Coach and Founder of Graduate Coach. How? Because, as stated on the FutureLearn website, “This course will walk you through how to nail each stage of the graduate application process.”
Check out the ‘How to get a graduate job’ free online course on FutureLearn for more information and to register for free.